slogan

Message from the Principal

Welcome to St. Joseph School

Welcome to St. Joseph School. It is a very special place to be. It is a place where the staff and parents believe in working together to help our students achieve their personal best. We strive to ensure that our students are safe, respected and happy members of our school community. The staff and parents work together with each other and strive to fulfill the educational needs of all students and to help them acquire the skills necessary to be successful in life.

On a personal note, I am extremely lucky to be a part of the staff of St. Joseph. There are many great things happening at the school and we have great partnerships with the community. Our students are the best! They are respectful, cooperative and responsible individuals.

Please let us know if you have any questions or would like more information about our fantastic school.

Lorrie Petryna
Principal

Community History

(with thanks to Bruce Pitfield)

  • The first settler, Stephen Augustin de la Morandiere, cast his tent on our shore on June 28, 1820.
  • Father Jean Baptiste Proulx was the first priest to celebrate Mass in 1834.
  • The original name of our village was "Shebahonaning." This is an Ojibwa name meaning "canoe channel" or "canoe passage."
  • Shebahonaning was changed to Killarney in 1882 according to many reports, although the first postal stamp from Ottawa bears both Shebahonaning and Killarney in 1854.
  • In 1866, the first west lighthouse was built and in the following year was put into operation.
  • Hydro came to Killarney on November 7, 1951.
  • In 1920, the residents began agitating for a highway outlet. Construction commenced in 1952. Completion was in 1962.
  • Killarney is 13 years older than Wikwemikong and 18 years older than Manitowaning.
  • Bell Telephone established a dial system in town in 1966.
  • In 1948, regular air service commenced between Sudbury and Killarney and points on the Manitoulin Island.

School History

The first one-room public school in Killarney opened in December of 1876 with 45 students and one teacher. This building was replaced by a new school in 1889. In 1937, it was transferred to the Sudbury R.C.S.S. Board and renamed St. Joseph’s School. By this time, the school had grown to two classrooms, with classes up to grade 10.

St. Joseph’s is now in its third location. This building on St. Paul Street was officially opened on May 19th, 1977, offering classes from Junior Kindergarten to grade eight.

 

More About Sudbury Catholic Schools

Our Mission

" To nurture and develop the mind, body and spirit of every student within our Catholic learning community. "

The Sudbury Catholic mission statement answers the questions who are we, and what do we do. Every organization needs to define its fundamental purpose, philosophy, and values. Our mission statement explains why our organization exists, and describes the needs our organization was created to fill.





Schools to  Believe In